Current Computer Class Description:
The Pollard Library offers a monthly rotating schedule of beginner computer classes. Our "Tech Night," tutoring happens in our 2nd floor reference room at our main library on Merrimack St. All other classes occur in the computer lab on the 2nd floor of the Lowell Senior Center near the Senior Center Branch of the library. The classes are designed for persons with little or no computer experience. The core classes cover the following topics:
- PC Skills- General overview of using a personal computer, such as: turning it off and on; using a mouse and keyboard; working with Windows 7 features and programs. It is highly recommended to take this class first.
- Mouse- not a rodent, but a way of moving around the computer screen!
- Internet Skills - An introduction to using the Internet. Topics covered include: opening a browser; surfing the web; performing a search; exercising safety online; and a brief look at email. It's recommended that you've already taken PC Skills or are familiar with Windows 7, the mouse, and the keyboard. Prerequisite: Must be able to use a mouse
- Email- learn basic email features and set up a free email account. Prerequisites: Mouse and Intro to PCs
- Tech Night -Have a question about computer skills, word processing skills, or e-readers? Sign up for a one-one-one session with our IT staff. Please note that this is for advice and instruction only; it is NOT a substitute for troubleshooting and repairing your computer. Reservation required (2nd Floor Reference Room of Main Library)
- Social Media- An introduction to using social networks such as Facebook and Twitter. Must be proficient with using a Mouse,have good typing skills and
have an EMAIL ADDRESS
- Word Skills - Learn how to create, edit and save documents using Microsoft Word 2007. It's recommended that you've already taken PC Skills or are familiar with Windows 7, the mouse, and the keyboard.
We sometimes offer special interest classes on topics such as:
Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Publisher, Facebook, Twitter, Genealogy, Keyboard Shortcuts, Creating Resumes, and the use of various electronic eReaders (Kindle, Nook, etc).
Current Schedule of Classes:
Click on the links below for a schedule of current computer classes:
Classes are limited to 10 students. You may sign up over the phone (978-674-4121) or in person at the 2nd Floor Reference Desk of the Main Library